A Licence to Occupy is a legal contract between Us ‘the Licensor’ and You ‘the Resident’ so please make sure that You read the terms below before You book Your accommodation. When You accept these terms You agree to pay all fees and payments when demanded or as and when due for the full length of Your Licence. If You do not wish to accept the terms below please do not agree to do so. This Licence is governed by English law and may be different to licences in other countries. If You have difficulty in understanding these terms please take advice before You accept them.
Here is an explanation of words and phrases used in this Licence
“We”, “Us”, “Our” “the Licensor”
The Licensor is Sanctuary Housing Association
The Licensor’s contact details are:
Sales and Accommodation Office
189-205 Pentonville Road
Telephone: +44 (0)207 841 0480
You may contact Us, the Licensor for all enquiries using the details above. We prefer communication in writing by email.
“You”, “Your” “the Resident”
[Your name and permanent address will be shown here on Your Licence]
[If You have someone to pay the Booking Fee and accept the Licence for You they will be Your ‘Guarantor’. Your ‘Guarantor’ will be able to give Us their information on the online acceptance page and their details will appear here on Your Licence. If You are under 18 years of age on the Start Date of Your Licence You will need a Guarantor to accept the offer for You. Your Guarantor will be bound to this Licence and will have to pay all Licence Fee instalments and charges if You do not do so.]
This is when You or a Guarantor has paid the Booking Fee and accepted Our offer of accommodation, and “Accept” shall be interpreted accordingly.
This is a non-refundable administration fee of GBP 75.00 which We charge to administer Your application for a Licence with Us.
The Booking Fee is the first payment You make when You accept the terms of this Licence. It is made up of the Administration Fee and the Reservation Fee.
The Residence Contents, the Flat Contents and the Room Contents.
This is the End Date of Your Licence as shown below, or when it is determined in accordance with clause 7.
[The End Date will be shown here on Your Licence]
The flat is the part of the Residence in which the Room is located and may include Flat Common Areas. If Your Room is self-contained (i.e. you have exclusive use of a kitchen) then ‘Flat’ refers to the Room only.
“Flat Common Areas”
The areas shared with other residents in the Flat, including the kitchen, hallways and any other communal area shared exclusively by You and other residents in Your Flat.
This is all furniture, fittings and equipment provided for the use of all residents in the Flat.
“Licence”, “Licence Agreement”
This is the legal contract which We issue to You when You Accept Our offer of accommodation by payment of a Booking Fee. The terms of the Licence are set out in this document.
The charge for occupation You will have to pay for Your Licence.
GBP [The amount will be shown here on Your Licence Agreement].
This is the period between the Start Date and End Date of Your Licence.
[Your Licence Period will be shown here on the Licence Agreement.]
This is Our offer of accommodation to You.
“Offer Deadline Date”
This is the date that Our Offer expires and is set out in Our email to You making Our Offer. Your Acceptance and payment of the Booking Fee must be received on or before the Offer Deadline date otherwise We reserve the right to offer the Room to someone else.
“Office Opening Hours” are between 8am and 10pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
The dates when You have to pay Us an instalment of the Licence Fee.
[Residents who move in at the start of the academic year are normally required to pay the Licence Fee in three instalments. The number of instalments reduces to two instalments or one instalment depending on the Start Date and the End Date. Your payment dates will be shown here on Your Licence Agreement.]
This is a fee of GBP 325.00 which we charge to reserve a Room for the Start Date of Your Licence. When You move in and Your Licence begins the Reservation Fee is credited towards Your final instalment of the Licence Fee. If You do not move in We will not give You a Licence and You will lose Your Reservation Fee.
This is the building where the Room is located and any alternative building where any alternative Room allocated at any time during the Licence Period in accordance with clause 11 is located.
[The name and address of the residence in which the room which is initially allocated to You will be written here on Your Licence Agreement.]
“Residence Common Areas”
The areas shared with other residents of the Residence including the common room, hallways, outside areas and any other communal areas shared by You and other residents of the Residence (if any).
This is all furniture, fittings and equipment provided for the use of all residents in the Residence.
“Residence Office” is the office serving the Residence which is at
[The address of the relevant Residence Office will be written here on Your Licence Agreement.]
This is a room or self-contained flat which You are allocated use of as a resident or such other alternative room or flat which the Licensor may at its absolute discretion allocate on or prior to the Start Date, or at any time during the Licence Period in accordance with clause 11.
This is all furniture, fittings and equipment provided exclusively for Your use in the Room.
A resident of the Residence employed by Sanctuary Students London to assist the staff at the Residence and provide on-call support to security out of office hours.
This is the Start Date of Your Licence.
[The actual Start Date will be shown here on Your Licence Agreement]
We strongly recommend that You (and Your Guarantor if You have one) read the terms of this Licence before You or Your Guarantor Accept Our Offer of accommodation.
To Accept an Offer of Accommodation from Us You will need to:
Read and Accept the terms of this Licence Agreement
Pay the Booking Fee on or before the Offer Deadline Date set out in Our email to You making Our Offer. Payment of the Booking Fee must be received on or before the Offer Deadline Date otherwise We reserve the right to offer the Room to someone else.
Pay the first instalment of the Licence Fee on or before the Start Date of Your Licence. Payment of the first instalment of the Licence Fee must be received on or before the Start Date of Your Licence otherwise You will not be allowed to move in to the Room.
If You will be in receipt of a UK Student Loan and think that You may struggle to pay Your first instalment of Licence Fee then see the London Property
pages on our website.
We will not grant a Licence to You if You have not paid the Booking Fee and the first instalment of the Licence Fee.
You or Your Guarantor can pay the Booking Fee and instalments of the Licence Fee in one of the following ways:
Pay using a debit or credit card online at Our website www.sanctuary-students.com/London. We do not accept payment by American Express or Diner’s Club card. Please see clause 3.2 below for further details of how to make payments this way.
Pay using a debit or credit card at the Residence Office during Office Opening Hours. Please see clause 3.3 below for further information about making payments at the Residence Office.
Pay using Travellers’ Cheques in Pounds Sterling at the Residence Office during Office Opening Hours. Please see clause 3.3 below for further information about making payments at the Residence Office.
Pay using Banker’s Draft in Pounds Sterling drawn on a UK bank by visiting the Residence Office during Office Opening Hours. Please see clause 3.3 below for further information about making payments at the Residence Office. You must write your full name and reference number on the reverse side of the Banker’s Draft.
Pay by sending a Banker’s Draft by post to the Residence Office marked for the attention of the Residence Manager. You must write Your full name and reference number on the reverse side of the Banker’s Draft. It is advisable when posting your bankers draft to send it via secure, signed for mail.
Payment through www.sanctuary-students.com/London
In Our email to You making Our Offer there are details about how to log on to www.sanctuary-students.com/London to make a payment. You or Your Guarantor may use the log on details to access Our online payment service.
If the payment is successful a payment confirmation screen will be displayed and You will receive a receipt by email.
If the payment is not successful You may try making the payment using another card or contact the Residence in accordance with clause 3.1.2 above to make a payment during Office Opening Hours.
Payment at the Residence Office
The Residence Office is able to accept payments during Office Opening Hours.
You or Your Guarantor can make a payment in person at the Residence Office during Office Opening Hours.
You or Your Guarantor can telephone the Residence Office to make a payment during Office Opening Hours.
If You make a Booking Fee payment by telephone You or Your Guarantor must email the Residence Office to confirm that You have read and understood the terms of this Licence before Acceptance of Our Offer.
Payment by Banker’s Draft
If You choose to pay the Booking Fee by Banker’s Draft the payment must be received by Us before the Offer Deadline Date otherwise We reserve the right to offer the Room to someone else.
If You choose to pay an instalment of the Licence Fee by Banker’s Draft the payment must be cleared in Our bank account before the relevant Payment Date given in this Licence Agreement, otherwise You will be charged a fee for late payment (see clause 10 below for further details of other fees and charges).
Charges for Late Payment
Payment of an instalment of the Licence Fee must be made on or before the relevant Payment Date given in this Licence Agreement, otherwise You will be charged a fee for late payment (see clause 10 below for further details of other fees and charges).
To cancel Your Acceptance of Our Offer You must email the Accommodation Services Office at email@example.com AT LEAST SEVEN (7) DAYS before the Start Date of Your Licence.
If You cancel Your Acceptance at least seven (7) days before the Start Date of Your Licence You will be entitled to a refund of Your Reservation Fee, but not Your Administration Fee.
If Your Acceptance of an Offer is within seven (7) days of the Start Date of Your Licence the Reservation Fee is NOT refundable.
If You DO NOT notify Us by email as set out in clause 4.1 above of Your cancellation of Your Acceptance You will not be entitled to a refund of Your Reservation Fee.
If You cancel Your Acceptance before the Start Date of Your Licence any Licence Fee paid to Us will be refunded. (see clause 8 below for further information on refunds).
If the Start Date of Your Licence has passed and You have moved into the Room You CANNOT cancel Your Acceptance and may be responsible for the payment of the Licence Fee until the end of Your Licence. (see clause 7 below for details of how to end Your Licence).
The Licence will begin on the Start Date.
The Licence will begin ONLY if We have received a Booking Fee payment and the first instalment of Licence Fee on or before the Start Date of the Licence.
The Licence will NOT begin if We have received a cancellation notice from You in accordance with clause 4.1 above at least seven (7) days before the Start Date of Your Licence.
The Licence will NOT begin if We are notified by the University or any other appropriate person that You do not have the right to occupy Our accommodation and Our enquiries indicate that this is the case. (see clause 9 below for further details of Your right of occupy).
If You do not pay the first instalment of the Licence Fee on or before the Start Date the Room will be offered to someone else.
If You have paid the first instalment of the Licence Fee but will not move into the Room within seven (7) days following the Start Date of Your Licence You must notify the Accommodation Services Office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If You do not notify Us, We reserve the right to end Your Licence and offer the Room to someone else.
You must arrive at the Residence between 2pm and 8pm on the Start Date of Your Licence or at another time after the Start Date if this has been arranged between You and the Residence Office.
If You have arranged with the Residence Office to move in after the Start Date You must still pay the first instalment of Licence Fee on or before the Start Date.
You will be required to show photo identification (passport, driving licence) of yourself as part of the arrival check in process.
We will give You access to a Room when the check in process is completed.
The Licence will normally last for the full Licence Period between the Start Date and End Date.
We will consider, but not be under any obligation to grant a request from You to end a Licence earlier than the End Date if ALL the following conditions are met:
You visit the Residence Office in person and fill in a Leaver’s Request Form.
You pay all Licence Fee instalments and any other charges that You owe as stated in this Licence Agreement.
A suitable replacement resident is found who is NOT and has NOT been in the current academic year an occupant in one of Our residences and meets the requirements relating to rights of occupation set out in clause 9.1 below.
The replacement resident pays a Booking Fee to Us and is given a Licence by Us.
The period during which time the replacement resident can cancel their acceptance of Our accommodation offer has passed.
We may end Your Licence at any time if ANY of the following conditions are met:
If You have not moved in within seven (7) days of the Start Date of Your Licence and have not arranged with Us in advance a later date for arrival.
If any payment of the Licence Fee or other charges is overdue by 21 days or more.
If You lose Your Right of occupation under Clause 9 below.
If We end Your Licence early You will remain liable for the full payment of the Licence Fee until the End Date of Your original Licence Period unless one of the following conditions are met:
A suitable replacement resident is found who is NOT currently a resident in one of Our residences AND meets the requirements relating to rights of occupation set out in clause 9.1 below AND who pays a Booking Fee to Us AND is given a Licence by Us AND the period during which time the replacement resident can cancel their acceptance of Our accommodation offer has passed; or
Clause 9.3 below (‘Discontinuation of study‘) applies (subject to clause 9.3.3)
Subject to clause 7.4 above if the Licence is ended early by either You or Us We will refund any overpayment of Licence Fee as soon as practicable after the new End Date of Your Licence OR (if later) after the Start Date of a Licence of a replacement resident.
Credit and Debit Card Refunds
We will attempt to refund the card on which the payment was made. If the card has expired or is no longer valid We will issue a cheque in accordance with clause 8.3.
If Our attempt to refund a card payment fails, or if the original payment was made by bankers draft or travellers’ cheques, We will issue a cheque in GB Pounds Sterling payable to You or (at Our discretion) to the person who originally made the payment to Us.
If a refund cheque is issued We will send it to the Room You occupy if You are at the Residence, otherwise We will send it to the address You provided on Your application form or as subsequently notified in writing to Us.
If We are requested to re-issue a replacement refund cheque for whatever reason We will be entitled to charge GBP 15.00 for the re-issue.
We shall be entitled to deduct any bank charges payable by Us in respect of any refund from the money which is refunded.
Only the following persons have a right of occupation:
A registered student who has been nominated by one of Our University partners to be given a Licence to Occupy at Our residences.
A registered student studying full-time for a minimum of 21 hours per week at a University or Higher Education College which is deemed appropriate by Us (acting reasonably) and which is specified education institution within the meaning of the Housing Act 1988 Schedule 1 Part 1 paragraph 8.
You will lose Your right of occupation if any of the following conditions are met:
If You are in serious or persistent breach of any of Your obligations in this Licence Agreement.
If Your behaviour in Our reasonable opinion constitutes a serious risk to yourself or others or to Our property or the property of others.
If You are no longer a registered student as stated in clause 9.1.1 and 9.1.2 above, in which event clause 9.3 below will apply.
Discontinuation of study
If during Your Licence Period You are no longer a registered student as stated in clause 9.1.1 and 9.1.2 above this is known as a ‘Discontinuation of Study’ and You must notify the Residence Office and complete a Leaver’s Request Form.
If Your Discontinuation of Study happens BEFORE 1st APRIL Your liability for the payment of the Licence Fee will be limited to a maximum of 28 days after the latter of the date You permanently leave the Residence and hand in Your keys/entry card OR the date when You complete the Leaver’s Request Form.
If Your Discontinuation of Study happens on or AFTER 1st APRIL You will remain liable for the payment of the Licence Fee until the End Date of Your Licence Period or until a suitable replacement resident is found in accordance with clause 7.4.1 above.
We will only accept Your notice of Discontinuation of Study if accompanied by a letter of proof from Your University stating the end date of Your registration at the University.
Proof of enrolment
You agree to provide proof of enrolment as a full-time student at a University or Government-Funded Higher Education Institute in the United Kingdom upon Our request at any time during Your Licence Period.
If at any time You cease to be a full-time student We may terminate Your Licence as stated in clause 9.2.3 above and clause 14.9 (‘Council Tax’) will apply.
We are entitled to charge You for all reasonable costs and expenses incurred by Us to recover money owed by You as stated in this Licence Agreement. These charges include (but are not restricted to) the following:
Licence Amendment Charge
GBP 25.00 to issue a Licence amendment notice if at Your request We grant any of the following:
- Change of room type at a different licence fee (e.g. from a single room to a double room)
- Change of Residence
- Change of Licence Period (in which case clause 7 will also apply)
Our reasonable costs, being a minimum of GBP 30.00 if in Our reasonable opinion the Room is required to be cleaned at any time before the original End Date.
Failed payment fee
GBP 30.00 if a bankers draft fails to clear when presented to Our bank.
Refund cheque re-issue
GBP 15.00 if We have to re-issue a refund cheque to You because You have not let Us have Your correct address or You lose the original cheque.
Notification of Resident’s breach of obligations
GBP 25.00 for written notice that You are in breach of the terms of this Licence.
Each reminder to pay Licence Fee
GBP 25.00 for written notice that You are in arrears with Your Licence Fee
Replacement of lost keys
Up to GBP 60.00. This is not refundable when new keys have been issued even if Your keys are found. This clause is only applicable in the case where just one set of keys need to be replaced. In the case of more than one set of keys needing to be replaced and/or where entry cards need to be replaced and/or additional flat locks or card mechanisms need to be replaced the charge may be higher. Please refer to clause 14.6 below.
Replacement of entry card / ID card
GBP 5.00. This is not refundable when a new card has been issued.
Damage to Contents
An amount equivalent to the reasonable costs of repair or replacement (or a proportionate share of such costs).
You and Your Guarantor authorise Us to charge any instalment of Licence Fee which is due but unpaid to Your or Your Guarantor’s credit or debit card if payment has previously been made by that method. We will not be liable for any bank or credit card company charges that You may be charged.
We may charge You interest on any Licence Fee which remains unpaid more than 7 days after the Payment Date has passed (whatever the reason for delayed payment) and interest will be charged (calculated on a daily basis) at the Bank of England base lending rate for the period from when payment becomes due until payment is made.
We have the right at any time to move You to a similar alternative Room within the Residence (or in exceptional circumstances to a different Residence) during the Licence Period.
It shall always be regarded as reasonable for Us to relocate You in order to achieve efficient occupancy of Flats and avoid having several partially empty ones.
If We relocate You to more expensive alternative accommodation then (unless the relocation is at Your request) the Licence Fee will not increase. If We relocate You to less expensive accommodation, the Licence Fee will be decreased by an appropriate amount.
You will not be entitled to any compensation for disturbance or disruption if We relocate You (but this clause does not affect Your rights if the reason for the relocation is because the Room is defective).
You may request to be relocated to another room but We will not be obliged to consider any requests for relocation during the first 2 weeks of the Licence Period.
We will only agree to Your relocation if there is alternative accommodation available and if there are exceptional circumstances for You requesting the move.
If We move You because You are in breach of one or more of Your obligations in this Licence Agreement or where the move is made at Your request You will pay Us a minimum cleaning charge of GBP 30.00 in respect of the cleaning of the Room You are moving from where in Our reasonable opinion that Room requires cleaning before another resident can occupy it.
Where the reason for Us requiring a relocation is because of Your breach of this Licence Agreement, We will give You at least 48 hours prior notice.
Where a Room or Flat is let for double occupancy both Residents in the Room or Flat shall have a joint Licence and shall be jointly and severally liable to comply with this Licence Agreement. This means that each of them is fully responsible for all of the Resident’s obligations under this Licence, including the payment of the Licence Fee, as well as having shared responsibility with the other occupier.
Where a Room or Flat is occupied under the terms of clause 12.1, one of the Residents will be regarded as the lead Resident and must be a student of the School of Oriental and African Studies(SOAS) and occupy subject to clause 9.1.
If one of the joint Residents ceases to live in the Room or Flat, the remaining Resident will promptly notify the Licensor. We will be entitled to claim the full Licence Fee from both Residents or from either of them.
If both Residents wish to leave, the termination provisions in clause 7 apply.
If the lead Resident wishes to leave We are under no obligation to grant a licence to the remaining occupant. We may potentially grant a licence if the conditions of clause 9.1 are met but not have to do so.
On receiving the Booking Fee from You or Your Guarantor We will:
- Give You a receipt by email for Your Booking Fee payment.
- Reserve a Room for You for the Start Date of Your Licence.
- Give You information on what You need to bring when You arrive.
- Send an email to remind You when Your first instalment of the Licence Fee payment is due (but the Licence Fee will be payable whether the reminder is sent or not).
On receiving the first instalment of the Licence Fee payment from You or Your Guarantor we will:
- Give You Your Licence and allow You to occupy Your Room from the Start Date of Your Licence.
- Issue You keys and/or entry card to the Residence, Flat and the Room on the Start Date of Your Licence.
- Give You the right to use the Room Contents We provide for You.
- Give You the right to use any Flat Contents and Residence Contents We provide for shared use by all residents in the Flat and the Residence.
- Give You the right of access to any Flat Common Areas and Residence Common Areas jointly with other residents.
During the Licence Period We will:
- Provide electricity and hot and cold running water.
- Provide heating up to 21 degrees centigrade in the Room and Flat.
- Subject to clause 14.3 below, maintain and repair all Contents to a satisfactory condition in a reasonable timescale, having regard to the nature of the relevant Contents.
- Provide any other services which are stated to be included in this Licence Agreement.
Before each Payment Date We will send a payment reminder to You by email (but the Licence Fee instalment will be payable whether the reminder is sent or not) with information of how to log on to Our website and check the Licence Fee due and any additional charges payable under the Licence Agreement. If You disagree with the amount You must inform the Residence Office on or before the relevant Payment Date.
We will provide an inventory of the Room and the Room Contents allocated to You on Your arrival. We will ensure that the Room is in the condition described in the inventory provided that You report any damage or defects within 7 days of the Start Date of the Start Date of this Licence(or, within 7 days of You moving into the Room if You move in later than the Start Date).
If the Reservation Fee is not credited towards Your final payment of Licence Fee We will return it to You (after making any proper deductions) as soon as reasonably possible after the End Date, and in any event no later than one month after the End Date. See Clause 8 above for further details.
We will insure the Residence and Your personal belongings with Campus Insurance or a similar reputable Insurer as We decide. The premium for the building insurance and Your possessions is included in the Licence Fee. Terms and conditions apply to the insurance cover and these can be read at www.sanctuary-students.com/London. You are responsible for making sure that Our insurance of Your possessions is sufficient for Your needs and if You consider the cover is not adequate You may make additional insurance arrangements at Your own expense.
Cleaning and refuse
- Keep the Room clean and tidy throughout the Licence Period and leave the Room and the Flat in a clean and tidy condition.
- Jointly with other residents, to keep the Flat Common Areas clean and tidy throughout the Licence Period.
- Dispose of Your refuse at regular intervals in designated areas and not deposit rubbish or unwanted items anywhere else on the Licensor’s property or surrounding area.
- Comply with any recycling requirements imposed on Us by the local authority or any reasonable recycling requirements imposed by Us.
- Remove all personal belongings and rubbish at the end of the Licence Period. If You do not do so We are entitled to remove and dispose of them without being liable for any loss or damage.
- Not to obstruct the Licensor or the Licensor’s employees or agents access to inspect and clean the Residence or otherwise.
- Where You do not comply with these terms and conditions within 7 days of Us notifying You, We will carry out the cleaning and charge You the cleaning costs which the Licensor incurs subject to a minimum fee of GBP 30.00.
- If You refuse access to Our cleaners at a time notified by Us, We may charge a fee of GBP 25.00 for each wasted visit in addition to any charges properly made for cleaning.
Access to the Room
We and persons authorised by Us have access to the Room at all times for all purposes including viewing, inspection, cleaning, maintenance or repair. We will endeavour to give You a minimum of 24 hours’ notice of such access being required, but reserve the right not to have to do so in cases of emergency.
You shall occupy the Room as licensee and no relationship of landlord and tenant is created between the parties to this agreement.
- The Licensor retains control, possession and management of the Room and You have no right to exclude the Licensor or other parties authorised by them to use the Room or Residence
- The License to occupy granted by this agreement is personal to You and any rights granted may only be exercised by You
- You will not remove any Contents belonging to Us from the Room or from the Flat or from the Residence.
- Subject to clauses 14.5 and 16 below You will be liable for replacing or repairing any missing, lost or damaged Contents (unless caused by fair wear and tear or recovered on the Licensor’s insurance).
Health and Safety
- You will not leave any doors propped open or obstruct or leave any items in the Flat and Residence Common Areas or do anything which may be a fire risk or in any other way put the health and safety of yourself, others, or Our property or other people’s property at risk.
- You will not interfere with any fire prevention, fire detection or fire fighting equipment within the Residence and We may refer any such incidents to the appropriate prosecuting authority.
- You will use the Room, the Flat and the Residence with care and attention to the safety and convenience of others. You will not do anything which may cause damage to Our electrical installation or equipment.
- You will not put any harmful substance in, or do anything which is likely to block the drains or pipes serving the Flat and will take reasonable precautions to prevent pipes in the Flat from freezing.
- We will treat any breach of clause 14.4 (including the use of candles, oil lamps, incense, shisha and hookah pipes) as a serious breach of these Terms which would entitle Us to terminate this Licence Agreement.
Defects and Damage
- You will promptly report to the Residence Office any defect in or damage to the Room or the Flat or the Residence.
- You will not change, or fix or attach anything to, or in any way re-decorate or attempt to repair the Room, the Flat or any part of the Residence.
Where any damage or loss occurs in the Residence Common Areas or in the Flat Common Areas and We are unable to ascertain who is at fault You will pay a fair and reasonable proportion (determined by the number of residents in the Residence or in the Flat, as appropriate) of the cost of repairing the damage or reinstating the loss. Our complaints procedure will apply to any disputes. You can obtain a copy of the complaints procedure from the Residence Office.
Keys and Access
- You will return all keys and entry cards to the Residence Office by 10.00 am on the End Date.
- You will not make any duplicate keys or issue keys to any other person or change the locks to the Room or the Flat or any other locks in the Residence.
- You will promptly report any loss of keys or entry cards to Us and will pay Us the proper and reasonable cost up to a maximum of GBP 100.00 for the complete replacement of the entire access system including the replacement of the keys and/or the entry cards and/or the locks or card mechanism.
Non-Residents and Visitors
- You will ensure that Your visitors sign in the visitors’ book held at the Residence Office or security desk upon entering the Residence and sign out Your visitors on leaving the Residence.
- You may not have more than one overnight visitor at a time.
- You may not have more than 3 visitors at a time.
- You may not leave the Residence while You have any visitor in the building.
- You are responsible for the conduct and behaviour of any person You invite to the Residence and will reimburse Us for any loss or damage a visitor causes.
- Subject to the next sub-clause You may not have overnight visitors in the Room or in the Residence for more than 3 nights in any 7. An overnight visitor is allowed a maximum of 3 nights in the Residence in any 7 and may not return to the Residence as the visitor of another resident during that 7 day period.
- You may apply in writing to the manager of Your Residence if You wish to have a visitor stay for more than 3 nights in any 7 but We may refuse on the grounds of health and safety, nuisance to other residents in the Flat, or some other reasonable ground.
- You may be asked to pay a charge (equivalent per person to the rate paid by You) to Us if You have an overnight visitor for more than 3 nights in any 7, whether or not We have given permission for the visitor’s stay. Paying an additional charge does not imply that a visitor’s stay may continue indefinitely, nor does it constitute any form of licence, and You must ensure the overnight visitor leaves at Our request.
- We reserve the right to refuse entry to any visitor who has caused nuisance to any staff or persons in the Residence or if We have received what is in Our reasonable opinion a valid complaint about them.
Use of the Room
- You will use the Room only as a study bedroom for single occupancy (except for a Room designated for double occupancy, in which case the terms and conditions above relating to double occupancy apply, and except for visitors permitted by this Licence Agreement).
- You will not use or allow any part of the Residence to be used for any illegal activity.
- You will not use or allow the Room to be used for business purposes or do anything that would cause the Local Authority to change the Council Tax status of the Residence.
- You will not transfer Your Licence or create a sub-Licence or share occupancy of the Room or any part of the Flat (unless the Room is designated by Us as double occupancy, in which case the terms and conditions relating to double occupancy apply).
- You will not leave the Room unoccupied for more than 10 days without notifying Us except during the vacation periods or in an emergency which prevents You from giving Us notice.
- You will not bring any animal into the Residence unless it is an aid for a disabled person and You have notified the manager of the Residence in advance of the arrival so appropriate arrangements can be made.
- If at any time You cease to be a full-time student You agree to pay any Council Tax that You may become liable for during Your Licence Period.
- If by becoming liable for Council Tax payment the Flat or Residence is also liable for Council Tax You agree to pay those charges.
- If You fail to pay Council Tax for which You are liable We are entitled to recover from You as an additional charge any Council Tax We are required to pay as a result.
Use of electrical and gas-fuelled items
- You agree not to use or bring into the Residence any gas or electrical heaters or any gas or electric cooking appliances. We will allow You to use an oil-filled electric radiator provided it is tested to comply with Our health and safety requirements.
- You agree to pay towards the reasonable cost of PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) testing of any of Your electrical items if We are required to carry out the test to comply with any legal or health and safety regulations.
- You will not install any wireless or television aerial, satellite dish or other wiring or equipment without first obtaining written consent from Us and We shall be entitled to refuse consent on any reasonable ground.
- You will comply with any reasonable conditions and requests made by Us in respect of any such installation of cable or satellite dish or television aerial or other wiring.
- You will allow Us to enter the Room to inspect any such installation and to ensure that conditions have been complied with and You will comply with any further reasonable conditions and requests which We may make.
- If We require, You will have any installation professionally removed at the end of the Licence Period and pay Us for the repair of any damage to any part of the Residence caused by the installation or its removal.
- You agree to pay for any telephone and broadband services (where provided) that You subscribe to in addition to any free services available from the service provider.
- You will not install any telephone line other than that which may already be provided in the Room or enter into an Agreement with any other than Our nominated service provider (which may change from time to time) for the supply of telephone services without Our prior written consent which shall not be unreasonably withheld or delayed.
- In accepting and contracting with Our nominated service provider the provision of telephone and/or internet You agree that You will not be permitted to resell or make this Internet Service available to third parties through any means whatsoever including cable and or wireless systems. In the event that You are found to have established any form of connection for the provision of services to third parties it will be treated as breach of this Licence Agreement.
- You agree not to commit (or allow Your visitor to commit) any form of harassment, whether on the grounds of race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, disability or otherwise, which may interfere with the peace and comfort of other Residents or their visitors or staff and contractors employed by Us. We will treat harassment as a serious breach of this Licence Agreement, which could lead to termination of Your Licence Agreement and/or complaint to Your University or College under its disciplinary arrangements.
- You will not cause any nuisance, offence, disruption or persistent disturbance to others. Alcohol consumption is never a mitigating factor.
- You will not make any noise which is likely to annoy others and will not make any noise audible from an adjoining or neighbouring room between the hours of 10.00 pm and 8.00 am on Sundays to Thursdays and 12 midnight and 9.00 am on Fridays and Saturdays.
- You will not leave any car, van, motorcycle, caravan, trailer, boat, commercial vehicle or any other motorised vehicle on the Licensor’s property without written authority from Us (but nothing in this clause implies that We are under an obligation to give authority if it is requested). Bicycles may be left at the owner’s risk in designated storage areas (if any). You must not leave a bicycle anywhere in or outside of the Residence if it is likely to cause obstruction.
- You will not use or store in any part of the Residence any explosive, inflammable or hazardous or dangerous items.
- You will not (in any part of the Residence) install or use any portable gas or paraffin heater or do anything which would be likely to cause the Licensor’s buildings insurance to be invalid.
- If You become aware of any other Resident’s possession or use of a hazardous item, You shall promptly report it to the Residence Office.
We operate a non-smoking policy in all of Our residences and You agree not to smoke in any part of the Residence including the Room, the Flat Common Areas, the Residence Common Areas and any other communal areas including kitchens, corridors, hallways, common rooms, stairwells, courtyards and outside spaces. We will treat any breach of this condition as a serious breach of Your Licence Agreement which could lead to it being terminated.
We operate a zero tolerance policy towards the possession and use of illegal substances as defined in the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. You agree to adhere to this policy and not keep any substances that are illegal to carry or possess under UK law while in the Residence. Any breach of this clause will result in formal action including police and police dog involvement, information being passed to Your university and could result in the termination of this Licence Agreement. If any drugs or drug paraphernalia are found or reported to be present in a room, management reserve the right to enter and remove said substances and paraphernalia from the room. These shall then be handed over to the police for destruction.
Senior Residents and Security Guards
You will at all times comply with the proper and reasonable instructions of the Senior Residents and security guards as regards health and safety and the wellbeing of residents generally. If You believe that the instructions of any Senior Resident or security guard are unreasonable, You may complain to the Residence Office using Our complaints procedure. You can obtain a copy of the complaints procedure from the Residence Office.
- You will pay to Us within 7 days of invoice all costs reasonably incurred in enforcing Your obligations in this Licence Agreement and/or losses and reasonably incurred costs arising from a breach of them, including a GBP 25.00 administration fee in respect of each breach or enforcement action.
- You agree to reimburse Us for any third party bank or card charges which We have to pay as a result of You giving incorrect or out-of-date information or using a third party’s bank or card details without their authority.
Data Protection Act 1998
You and Your Guarantor authorise Us to use personal data for all lawful purposes in connection with the Licence and the Guarantee, including debt recovery, crime prevention, allocating rooms or where there is a serious risk of harm to You or to others in the Residence or to the Licensor’s or others’ property. You hereby give Your express consent to Us transferring personal data (including sensitive personal data) to Your teaching or research institution where in the Licensor’s reasonable opinion it is appropriate to do so.
You will promptly give Us a copy of any communication You receive which is likely to affect the Room, the Flat or the Residence.
Cars and Car Parking
- Unless You hold a disabled persons badge issued pursuant to section 21 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 You must not apply for or obtain a permit to park a vehicle in a place designated under an order made under section 45(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 for the use of residents or within any other controlled parking zone which may be in force within two miles of the Residence at any time
- You must not keep or run a motor car within two miles of the Residence.
Loss and damage
- Our liability for loss or damage to persons or property is excluded unless the loss or damage is caused by Our negligence or breach of Our obligations in these terms and conditions.
- We will not be liable for any loss, theft or damage which You sustain, or for any failure of an insurance claim You submit.
- We are not liable for any loss or damage to any installation carried out by You, or to any equipment served by that installation.
- We will not be liable to carry out any replacement or repair where loss or damage has been caused by You or other Residents in the Flat or by their visitors until the person responsible for the loss or damage has paid for it or We have recovered the loss on insurance.
We shall not be liable for the actions or negligence of any third party at the Residence.
Provision of Services
- We are not responsible for the supply of telephone, broadband or any other services other than those which We agree to supply in this Licence Agreement and You must direct any complaints concerning the provision of such services and /or their cost to the service provider.
- We are not responsible for any failure of electricity supply and/or heating and/or water supply unless that for the failure has been caused by Our wilful negligence or breach of obligation contained in this Licence Agreement.
- We shall not be responsible for providing any Services where We are prevented from doing so by circumstances beyond Our reasonable control.
We shall not be liable for any payments You do not receive and it is Your responsibility to ensure that We have up-to-date details of Your bank or address to enable Us to make any payments due by giving Us written notice of any changes.
We shall not be responsible for any post delivered to the residence for You after Your Licence Period has ended. It is Your responsibility to ensure that your post is re-directed. Post received at the residence after the Licence Period has ended will be returned to the Royal Mail.
You are responsible for Your Room and Room Contents (see also clause 12 which relates to double rooms).
You are jointly responsible with the other Residents in Your Flat for the Flat Common Areas and Flat Contents and jointly responsible with the other Residents in Your Residence for the Residence Common Areas and Residence Contents.
Being jointly responsible means that any damage to the Residence Common Areas or Residence Contents or to the Flat Common Areas or Flat Contents will be shared between the Residents who use them unless We are able to identify the person responsible or recover the costs from insurance.
We are entitled to enforce obligations relating to the Flat Common Areas and Flat Contents and/or the Residence Common Areas and Residence Contents against You jointly with all the other Residents who occupy them.
Our complaints procedure will apply to disputes about shared charges.
We may serve notices in connection with Your Licence to You in person by leaving the notice at the Room, or by e-mail or post to the contact details You gave us when You applied for accommodation.
Other than where specifically stated otherwise in this Licence Agreement You shall serve notices and notifications in connection with Your Licence to Us by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Accommodation Services Office, Dinwiddy House, 189 – 205 Pentonville Road, London N1 9NF.
It is not intended that anyone other than the Licensor and/or the Licensor’s appointed representatives or the Resident or (where applicable) the Guarantor shall be entitled to enforce any of the terms of this Licence Agreement.
Where a Guarantor reserves the Room and pays a Booking Fee on Your behalf they will be liable for Your financial obligations in this Licence Agreement if You default.
If You instruct a Guarantor to act on Your behalf You need to read this Licence Agreement on Our website and confirm by email to firstname.lastname@example.org that You accept the terms.
If You are under the age of 18 years old at the time of booking You must provide Us with the details of a Guarantor through Our online acceptance pages or by email to email@example.com.
By making the application and submitting payment of the Booking Fee the Guarantor guarantees that they will pay the Licence Fee within 21 days of receipt of written demand accompanied by a certificate stating either:
the Resident has not paid the Licence Fee (or some part of it) when it was due; OR
the Resident’s rights under the Licence have been terminated; AND
(a) The Licence Fee of the amount being demanded would have been due if the Licence had still been subsisting; AND
(b) The Licence Fee reserved by any new licence relating to the Room is not payable in full by any other person for the period in respect of which the Licence Fee is being demanded from the Guarantor: OR
The Licence was granted on the basis of the Guarantor’s application alone, the Resident has failed to ratify the Licence by confirming his/her booking and paying the first instalment of the Licence Fee before the Start Date of the Licence Period, and the Licence Fee of the amount being demanded would have been due if the booking had been made personally by the Resident.
The Guarantor also guarantees to the Licensor that they will pay within 21 days of written demand which includes evidence of the amount claimed, a sum equal to all the Licensor’s losses, damages, costs and expenses arising from any breach of the Resident’s obligations under this Licence Agreement (whether or not the Resident made the booking personally).
The Guarantor’s obligations shall end (without affecting any claim which has already arisen) on the first to occur of:
the End Date; OR
the grant of a new Licence of the Room following termination of this Licence Agreement.
If during the Licence Period the Resident transfers to other accommodation let by the Licensor, the Guarantor’s obligations shall also transfer to that other accommodation (but not so as to increase the Guarantor’s total liability).
If We recover any sum from the Resident after receiving payment from the Guarantor in respect of the same liability then We will repay the sum from the Resident to the Guarantor up to the amount paid by the Guarantor within 21 days.
By requesting the Guarantor to give this guarantee the Resident undertakes to the Guarantor to re-pay to the Guarantor within a reasonable time of demand any sums which the Guarantor pays to the Licensor and which are not reimbursed by the Licensor.
These are the terms and conditions on which We, the Licensor, are prepared to offer a Licence to Occupy. Keep these terms and conditions in a safe place, where You can easily refer to them if You need to